Monday, September 27, 2010

typefaces - oh joy!

I am actually really enjoying this week's reading about fonts.  Granted, I'm presently less than halfway through and may tire of it eventually.  Anyway, I fount the info regarding typeface history and its former national implications rather interesting.  I would agree with what the document has said thus far; that choosing a typeface can seem largely arbitrary, and the effects of a certain typeface can definitely be subconscious.  For example, someone reading a wordy, compressed document that's typed in sans serif may think "man, these words all seem to mash together."  Fortunately, now that we have greater insight into the font world, we can prevent such gaffes in documents we create.  Looking forward to discussing this, see you all tonight.

3 comments:

  1. It was a very dry read. I mean, it isn't supposed to be exciting but it was hard as heck to get through. Regardless, I agree with you as to the psychological implications a typeface has. It's something I hadn't considered before reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it was a very dry read, but I enjoyed the topic itself. Often when working on a new piece, I have to lay it out visually before I can truly dig into it. A lot of times this means determining the most appropriate font. Without a doubt, the fonts we choose have psychological implications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I agree with you, E-Dot. I never really took into account the different nature of fonts. I always knew they looked different but never really gave them a personality.Interesting read.

    ReplyDelete